The Latest Guide for International Students about Studying in Japan

> Japanese Top

  1. TOP
  2. Multi-Language Contents
  3. The Latest Guide for International Students about Studying in Japan

Multi-Language Contents

Studying Abroad in Japan I Love Japan and Want to Study There! I Want to Become a Bridge Between Japan and My Country!

The Latest Guide for International Students about Studying in Japan

Learning the Unique Techniques and Culture of Japan

Thirty Thousand International Students Are Attending
Japanese Professional Training Colleges

According to recent studies, the number of international students enrolled in Japanese institutions of higher education—such as professional training colleges, graduate schools and universities—totaled approximately 140,000, up some 4,000 from the previous year. The number of international students enrolled in professional training colleges rose nearly 20 percent over the previous year to approximately thirty thousand.
By country of origin/region, students from China account for roughly half, followed by those from Vietnam, whose number has nearly doubled over the previous year. Vietnam replaced South Korea in the rankings. Nepal, Taiwan and Thailand followed in that order, with other Asian countries also sending greater numbers of students to Japan. Amid the “Japan Boom” currently occurring, the home countries and regions sending students to Japan continue to expand on a global scale.

International students — countries/regions of origin of (2015)

Trends in the number of international students studying at Japanese institutions of higher education

  • Note :This total does not include the 44,970 students studying at Japanese - language institutions. When those students are added, the total number for 2014 comes to 184,155 — 16,010 students (9.5 percent) higher than 2013.

Admission to professional training colleges, graduation and employment

Scholarship Programs for International Students

Student grants of ¥48,000/month are available for self-supporting international students

Scholarships from the Japanese government (the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology [MEXT]) are available for Japanese government-sponsored international students, and JASSO scholarship programs are available for self-supporting international students. Local governments and private organizations also offer various scholarship programs.

Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship


¥117,000/month (for fiscal 2016)

〔Organization in charge〕

Japanese Government-Sponsored International Students Section, International Student Exchange Office, Student Support and Exchange Division, Higher Education Bureau, MEXT


03-5253-4111(main number)


Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship Reservation Program for Privately Financed International Students


¥48,000/month (fiscal 2016)

〔Organization in charge〕

Scholarship Administration, International Scholarship Division, Student Exchange Department, JASSO




Medical Insurance

All international students must enroll in the National Health Insurance system just as Japanese nationals do.

Irrespective of their lengths of stay, international students with a student visa must enroll in Japan’s National Health Insurance (NHI) system. Please go through necessary procedures at the administrative offices of the municipalities where you register your address. Monthly insurance premiums differ depending on the municipality and on your income. When you are covered by NHI, you are required to pay only 30 percent of actual medical expenses.

What the status of residence of "student" means

【Activities allowed with a student visa】
Study at Japanese universities, specialized training colleges (specialized courses), colleges of technology and other similar institutes

Periods of stay:
four years and three months, four years, three years and three months, three years, two years and three months, two years, one year and three months, one year, six months, three months

More International Students Are Eager to Work in Japan, and More Companies Are Eager to Employ Them

In terms of the paths international students take after graduating from professional training colleges, as of March 2014 (see graph, "Paths taken by international students graduated from Japanese professional training colleges [except those graduating from Japanese-language courses] "), 31.3 percent of students (26.3 percent in 2013) found jobs in Japan, 17.1 percent advanced to universities and professional training colleges, 14.1 percent returned home, and 14.1 percent (12.2 percent in 2013) stayed in Japan to look for work.
With those looking for employment included, nearly half of the students chose to work in Japan, and these two groups grew larger compared to those the previous year. On the other hand, the data gathered from companies on employing international students (see graph, "Companies that have employed international students in the past one year ") show that 52.3 percent of companies surveyed employed international students in the past year—an increase over the previous year's results (46.0 percent). Companies that tried to employ international students but have not done yet so account for 28.2 percent. With these two groups combined, approximately 80 percent of companies surveyed intend to employ international students. With companies involved in overseas operations growing in number, the need for people with globally applicable talents and mindsets will undoubtedly expand. Companies will have high expectations—particularly for such students who have studied in Japan—because of their high linguistic skill in Japanese and their understanding of Japanese customs and culture.

Paths taken by international students graduated from Japanese professional training colleges
(except those graduating from Japanese - language courses)

Visas for international students to work in Japan (examples)

Note: Period of stay five years, three years, one year or three months in all cases

Companies that have employed international students in the past one year

Special visa for "designated activities" to seek employment here

When international students graduating from a Japanese professional training college or university seek employment in Japan, a visa for "designated activities" is granted. The period of stay is usually between six months and one year after graduation, with a maximum of one year after graduation.